Monday, November 16, 2009

Offended?

Jesus was aware that his disciples were complaining, so he said to them,

"Does this offend you?".... John 6:61, NLT


I am continually amazed at how loosely Christians use the word "offend" to describe a hurt or perceived wrong done to them by a fellow believer. Please read carefully the following definition of the New Testament word skandalizō (skän-dä-lē'-zō) which is the word most often translated "offend" in the New Testament:


1) to put a stumbling block or impediment in the way, upon which another may

trip and fall, metaph. to offend

a) to entice to sin

b) to cause a person to begin to distrust and desert one whom he ought to

trust and obey

1) to cause to fall away

2) to be offended in one, i.e. to see in another what I disapprove of and

what hinders me from acknowledging his authority

3) to cause one to judge unfavourably or unjustly of another

c) since one who stumbles or whose foot gets entangled feels annoyed

1) to cause one displeasure at a thing

2) to make indignant

3) to be displeased, indignant


Have I ever been hurt by another's words? Certainly! Have I been misunderstood, misrepresented, even mistreated? Perhaps! Has anyone ever OFFENDED me? ABSOLUTELY NOT! No injustice ever done to me has the power to "entice me to sin" or "to cause to fall away." I refuse to grant it such authority in my life!


"Great peace have they who love Your law; nothing shall offend them

or make them stumble".... Psalm 119:165, Amplified Bible


No comments:

Post a Comment